That's right, up until today I was a virgin voter. When I turned 18 and went off to college, the idea of voting was pretty foreign. I was registered, just in a different county than where I was at college. I know I could have gotten an absentee ballot, I just didn't know how. Remember, this was before everyone had computers. I didn't even have e-mail or know how to get on the Internet to find out about voting like you can today. I also didn't have much interest in any of the political candidates. Bush vs. Gore????? Bush vs. Kerry???? Perhaps my democratic vote would have helped, but I really didn't feel strongly for one candidate or the other.
Any who, this time I was a bit more passionate about the election, so I voted. That's right, I lost my virginity to the 2008 Presidential Election.
Wanna know who I didn't vote for and why??? I opted for the lesser of the two evils.... I just couldn't see wasting my vote for the smart ass caricature look alike and his Alaskan "wink wink." OK, OK, I do have a more educated reason for not voting for McCain, but I can't say that I did for the non partisan portion of the ballot.... I pretty much just selected females and men with the coolest names. Sad, I know. And I do know I didn't have to vote on that portion of the ballot, but I wanted to get the full experience.
Oh, by the way, I did all this with Owen, Ben, Maggie, Miles and Liam and in the cold while it was snowing.
We are wearing "I Voted" stickers proudly today!
3 comments:
Good for you Crystal, I'm glad you voted. I too didn't vote until I was almost 22 years old. I was too young to vote (by 3 weeks) my freshman year in college for the 1972 election so I had to wait until 1976 to vote my first time. I've voted every time since then. Some years, like you, I vote for the lesser of two evils. When Kristen turned 18, the FIRST thing I did was make her go down to the election board and register to vote. When I worked at the TV station, one of the things I got to do was sit at the County Election Board in Norman and call in the results to the television station (in the state capital county and 30 miles away) as they came in and were counted. It was exciting and a great learning experience. All women should stand up and be counted and VOTE!
That's great! I think I'm going tomorrow. I am very passionate about this election and I hope we get the change we so need! I voted in 1996, 2000 and 2004, but my vote obviously didn't count in 00' or 04'. Wink Wink...
Glad to hear you voted. Everyone in our family is now a registered voter. Kimberly will get to vote for the first time this coming Tuesday which is also her 18th birthday. :-) Merry
Post a Comment