
Ben and his big brother, Owen (who really needs a hair cut)
I imagine Ben is like most 1 week olds. He sleeps most of the time and wakes usually just to eat. I am excited to say he is now eating a little more frequently and "the girls" are much happier!!! I went and bought a pump on Monday to help with some relief, but I would much rather my little guy be eating when he is supposed to. He is pretty much nursing every 2-3 hours, which is perfect!I have noticed only a few changes in him. One being his little belly is starting to be more round and he is starting to "unfold" a little. He was awake a little longer today, which was fun for me! Owen was napping and I pulled out his old play mat for Ben to try out. Of course he can't interact with it yet, but he did seem to hear and respond to the musical star.
I was determined to take Owen to Little Gym today, so this morning I got up, fixed Owen's breakfast, got Owen up and dressed, dressed myself, pulled my hair back into a ponytail, dressed and nursed Ben, grabbed a Luna Bar and Root Beer and headed out the door. I realized then, I need to give myself 30 more minutes on Wednesdays. I really need a better breakfast. I was so glad I decided to go though. Owen had the best time and I really want to make sure I am still focusing on him and giving him special attention. He really seems to want mommy time to cuddle and do fun things. Ben was a perfect angel and slept the entire time. I had him in his infant carrier in the stroller and well covered. The parents and kids were very courteous and only a few asked to take a peek. I felt it was a fairly germ free experience for the little guy.
Ben's appointment yesterday didn't bring the news I wanted to hear, but the doctor didn't think we needed to start Photo Therapy just yet. His BR score went from a 15.7 to a 15.9. He said they have one of the best machines you can have in an office, but it still can't determine how significant the difference in numbers like this mean. Had it of been actual points higher, then he would be more concerned. He did have me reschedule for tomorrow, Thursday, to have him rechecked. This was so hard for me to hear. I felt I was doing everything I could do. I had him in front of a window all day, he was eating and going to the bathroom good and I didn't notice him "glowing." Although, he was a tad more yellow under the office lights than at home. I started to cry a little when the doctor was giving me the news. I don't know if it was because of the hormones or because I just want him to be perfectly-healthy. The doctor handed me a tissue and reassured me everything would be OK and this was very common. So today, I found the sunniest spot in the house (in front of the storm door) and I pulled his bassinet up to it and had him nap there for most of the morning. It's like he was on display for all the neighbors and construction workers.
________________________________________________________
I would like to give thanks to my mom who came and helped with Owen when we first got home from the hospital. I was so sad to see her leave!
Also to Maggie for calling everyday this week to come over and play with Owen so I could nurse Ben, take him to the doctor and catch-up on things I need to do. She has been my angel and is so deserving of her wings.
And to Julie for coming to visit and for bringing us yummy Blue Sky Cafe for dinner.
I would also like to say Thank You to all your wonderful comments, calls, cards and well wishes, and to all of you who actually read our little blog. It really means a lot to me.
4 comments:
You guys are doing great!! I can't believe how much you've posted already - I loved reading the birth story. Makes me wonder if Heather's will be so fast too! I hope the visit to the doctor is better tomorrow and that everything is okay on that front. Take care!!!
Way to go on getting out of the house. Sometimes you get confined at home, because of the nursing. Way to go Ben for being on a schedule!! :)
What's a good score? Good luck today!
It was good to see you at TLG yesterday! I don't think you have to worry about the germs there until Ben starts licking the balls, like Mason is so fond of doing!
I love reading your updates! Thanks for posting them! I wish I could come over and help out - Helayna would love to play with Owen!
I hope today's appointment goes well. I've had several friends who had to spend time in the hospital for jaundice. I hope you can avoid that! Thinking of you!
Post a Comment