"Anything which parents have not learned from experience they can now learn from their children. " - Anonymous

Friday, June 13, 2008

Fence

When you have two dogs, a 19 month old and baby on the way, a fenced in yard is a must! At our other house (and I say other because, yes, it's still ours.... but that's another post for another day) we used the same fence company to construct a privacy fence. We loved it. It had 6 foot pickets with 1 foot of lattice at the top. When we moved into this house, we fell in love with the tree line at the back of our yard, and we didn't want to obstruct the view of any trees. So, we opted for a shorter fence. I had seen a few spindle fences that I liked when I use to walk the Biltmore Park trail, so I looked online for spindle fence designs and found one that I liked. We didn't want anything fancy or ornate, which you tend to get with spindle fences and we didn't want nor can we have a vinyl fence.

Here is what we came up with....


The gates were supposed to be a little different than the way they were made, but I still think they look fine. We had also opted for wood post caps (due to cost), but they used cooper caps instead, which look so much better.


I watched James and his crew build this fence, and I was amazed. They pulled up with a truck load of wood and hand cut every spindle, post and gate. They took very few breaks and built the entire fence in 1 1/2 days (not including the day it took them to set the posts.)

4 comments:

Heather M. said...

Oooh, great fence! I really like the posts! It looks like you guys have a great sized yard! I bet the dogs and Owen love it!

Heather said...

That's a very pretty fence!

Michael Juiliano said...

i will feel safer in your yard with a fence. thanks!
heehee.

The Ledfords said...

Wow, I just had to catch up on all your posts! I like the house and the fence! We had one in Mills River and loved it - we (and Brandy) miss it a lot!