"Anything which parents have not learned from experience they can now learn from their children. " - Anonymous

Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Sigh of RELIEF!

After our ultrasound last Monday, Danny and I waited in the exam room for about 30 minutes or so to see the doctor. When she came in, she started talking about how everything looked good and how he had all his parts and the things they were looking for in the ultrasound, but there was one thing she needed to discuss with us. They noticed a white spot in the muscle of the heart, which is referred to as Echogenic Foci All this is a a calcium deposit in the heart or a soft sign for Down Syndrome. Dr. Garbarino didn't seem to think there was anything to be concerned about, but she did have to make us aware of the finding. Had there been other soft signs or major findings, then she would be little more concerned.

At this point, I had opted to not have the Quad Screen, but fortunately I was still within the window for having it done. So I immediately decided to head to Missions Express Lab for some blood work. I was told to not expect the results for approximately 14 days, so I have just been sitting and waiting. I have tried to not get to concerned or worked up about it and I didn't want to worry any of our friends or family until we knew more. After all, if we were given a special needs child, we would do everything possible for this child to have the best life and there really was no need to worry.

When I got in the car this morning to take Owen to Kindermusik, I noticed a missed call on my cell phone (if you know me well enough, you know I am not much of a cell phone user and the thing is always in my car.) I recognized the number and called it back. The receptionist put me through to my doctor's nurse and she proceeded to tell me they had received my lab results and Dr. Horton wanted her to call and let me know everything looked normal. She didn't mention my ratio and I didn't ask; I was just so excited to hear the news. I have another appointment at the end of the month where I hope to find out just how "normal" these results are. I must say, I do feel much relief!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I had no idea! Thank goodness for the good news on the results! You know I totally understand that sinking feeling being pregnant! Please keep me posted on everything and if you want to talk or need to, we are here! He will be the perfect little boy :)- Ali

Anonymous said...

That is great,I'm glad every thing is ok (I knew it would be). I can't wait to be an aunt again!!

Heather said...

Thank goodness everything turned out okay! You are in my thoughts and prayers! Any chance you might have a baby shower in Denver???? :)

The Ledfords said...

I am so glad the test results were normal - I am sure that was a little stressful! Just saw your comment about the shower - I can't get back there for a shower, but you will be getting an invitation to a shipping shower Misty is doing for me - I think the invites are going out next week!

Joanna Bolick said...

Oh, that is stressful!
So glad for good news!
How's the house stuff going?

Heather M. said...

Oh gosh, thinking of you. I can't imagine how hard that would have been. I'm glad things are okay!

shelby valadez said...

such great news! i cant even imagine how hard the wait would have been...