I wanted to make a dozen and half for us to decorate and a half dozen to share with Maggie, so Miles could decorate a few for Santa. Well, I made the first batch with all fresh ingredients that I bought at the store except for the nutmeg I already had in the pantry. After I mixed the dough and got it ready to go in the fridge, I noticed the dough smelled a bit lemony and it should have smelled like nutmeg and cinnamon. I didn't realize nutmeg went bad.... You're probably wondering what rock I have been sleeping under...
So I ended up making the dough w/o nutmeg and just used cinnamon. Not the same, but oh well. After the dough had a chance to sit for a little while we started cutting out the cookies....
Here's Owen helping me cut out the first few... (please ignore the mess behind us)
Our snowman came out just perfect. Good job Owen!
I made a BIG mistake by letting him taste a pinch of the raw dough...

Helping daddy with the cookies...

Eating what looks to be a little more than a pinch of cookie dough (is anyone watching him???)
Still eating the dough (and some flour)....
looks like he may be eating more dough here, too...

After we got the cookies in the oven, we heard a scream and crying coming from Owen (who had his back to us while watching TV). We thought he must be upset that Mickey Mouse was over, but as he turned around, we noticed he had taken one of the metal cookie cutters from the counter and was chewing on it. It happened to be a Christmas tree cutter and he got the metal edges caught in his teeth. Again, is anyone watching the child???? We are quickly losing the parents of the year award. I ran, pulled the cutter from his teeth and threw it at Danny (like it was his fault), scooped Owen into my arms and held him while he poured tears. Pour little guy, this was supposed to be fun.... not traumatic!
He seemed tired at this point, so I took him upstairs and we read a few books and then he went down for a nap. While he was napping, I decorated a few cookies, set aside some for Danny and Owen to decorate later and put together a bag for Miles.
I usually make homemade icing, but this year I was a little lazy. Well, to be honest, I didn't even make cookies last year, so I am doing a little better. My Aunt Debbie hooked me up with pre-made cookie icing and a ton of sprinkles. Thanks Debbie!!!
I usually make homemade icing, but this year I was a little lazy. Well, to be honest, I didn't even make cookies last year, so I am doing a little better. My Aunt Debbie hooked me up with pre-made cookie icing and a ton of sprinkles. Thanks Debbie!!!
So we'll call these....Semi-homemade :)

I cleaned up the kitchen to a little Kenny G (Miracles is one of my favorite Christmas Cd's) and now I am about to enjoy a cookie and maybe a cup of hot chocolate.
5 comments:
Your cookies look wonderful. Ya'll did a good job!
You're too good to us! Thank you for thinking of Miles, whose mom is hopelessly bad at baking! Your cookies look fabulous by the way. Did Owen escape without injury? I fell out of the running for parent of the year a long time ago, lol! Poor Miles fell on his face 3 times in total on Friday!
In my opinion, you still get the mother of the year award! My idea of baking cookies are these wonderful cookies I found this year called Pillsbury ready to bake :). Michael tried to make homemade cookie dough one year for Abbie and her cousins and even Santa wouldn't eat them! He is my Alton Brown-great cook(with exception of cookie dough) The cookies are so cute! Merry Christmas to you and the Family!
You are such a mom, haha! :) Wait...that's not a bad thing. I love the cookies!! Isn't it great how you can do all that on your ganite? I love ours too! Skylar would have done the same thing. Here lately, I've noticed him playing with Ralph's toys (my dogs) more than his own toys and I caught him with Ralph's chew bone in his MOUTH last week!!! UGH!!! So, don't feel too bad about that. It happens and with us haing boys, it tends to happen more often. :)
How fun! I love that he helped you! Beautiful cookies and photos!
Post a Comment