"Anything which parents have not learned from experience they can now learn from their children. " - Anonymous

Tuesday, July 17, 2007

bittersweet

We received a phone call yesterday morning letting us know that Danny's grandfather, Pa, had passed away. He had been diagnosed with ALS a few years ago. Although the family knew this day would come, I don't know that one can ever fully prepare themselves and know exactly how they will feel.

Pa was such a kind soul and always had such interesting and funny stories to tell. That's one thing about this disease, it takes your body, but leaves your mind. Danny, Owen and I had just gone down for a visit 2 weeks ago and Pa, although very weak and obviously in much pain, still managed to put on a smile and share a few stories.

We will miss Pa, but at the same time we know he is, at last, resting in peace.

Alice and Colin came up for the burial today. It was so nice getting to visit with her and for Colin and Owen to get to play. The boys had not been together since our trip to Charleston in May. It's amazing at this age how fast they grow, change, and develop. Both Owen and Colin are starting to crawl, pull themselves up and babble. It was so much fun watching them interact. We can already tell Colin, the younger of the two, will probably be the tougher of the two. He was already pushing Owen around. Of course, Owen just thinks it's funny (for now that is.)

Danny managed to get in a golf lesson with Bobo before we left Spartanburg to come home.

2 comments:

Heather M. said...

I'm so sorry for your loss. It's never easy, no matter what the circumstances. Wishing you all peace and comfort right now. I'm so glad you were able to go and visit with him one last time.
Love the photo of the 2 boys! So cute! I think Helayna is going to be tough too as she's younger than Meadow and I think she'll feel the need to defend herself. ;)

Anonymous said...

Cuties!! Im so glad we got to see you guys..hopefully we will see you soon.