"Anything which parents have not learned from experience they can now learn from their children. " - Anonymous

Monday, April 26, 2010

On the door

I have been looking and looking for something I liked for the front door that didn't cost an arm and a leg. It's crazy how expensive pretty wreaths and hanging flower arrangements are! We had a dried wreath on the door last year, but our porch gets a lot of sun and the oils from the eucalyptus dripped constantly and I was always cleaning the glass. I actually just took our Christmas wreath off the door Easter weekend. My mom informed me I wasn't fooling anyone and it needed to go!

I was looking on ETSY for a handmade wreath over the weekend and was still taken back by the prices plus shipping and really just wanted something cute, but inexpensive. I found this, but didn't want to spend $70 on it, so Danny and I went to Michael's in search of something similar.

I thought I should look for a container first and I figured that might be the most expensive part of the project, but I actually found one in their clearance stuff for $6.99. I then started looking for flowers. Danny and I were in the year round section and were drawn to the dried and realistic looking flowers, butwe quickly realized this was only going to get way expensive. I asked a girl there for help and told her I was looking for lavender and Hyacinth, but we could only find 2 stems of the lavender and no Hyacinth. I took the lavender and she suggested using 2 bunches of the daisy, purple, grassy mix (technical term here.) We picked up a little green Styrofoam block to put in the container to stuff the flowers in and we only spent $20. This also included a pack of water guns for the kids.

So, it's no fancy, but we like it!

5 comments:

The Ledfords said...

I love it! You've inspired me to make my own. I've been looking too and can't believe how expensive they are.

Cindy said...

I love it. Very creative!!! How did you get it to stick to the door?

Crystal Johnson said...

We have one of those On Command hooks that just stick to the door. The back of the container has a flat spot that goes higher than the bucket part and at the top was a small hole. I used some purple ribbon and made a small loop and bow, so the arrangement would hang at eye level.

Heather said...

You did a beautiful job Martha Stewart!!! j/k. I am jealous that you are so artistic and I am not! Too cute!

Anonymous said...

Looks who's getting more and more creative. I'd like to place an order for one please... do you deliver?? :)

Kristen