"Anything which parents have not learned from experience they can now learn from their children. " - Anonymous

Thursday, May 7, 2009

2 1/2 Years.... WHAT?????

(Hopefully I can get a better picture sometime today...)


It's so hard to believe Owen is 2 1/2 already, not that he doesn't act like he's a two year old. We are so proud of him and how interested he is in learning. For some reason, he would rather play with letters, letter puzzles, draw letters and spell words, over playing with trucks and cars (not that he shouldn't be doing that too, he just seems more interested in learning as a game.) He has been able to recognize, pronounce and sound the alphabet since before he was two, but now he is actually putting all that together and spelling words. A few of the words he can spell (that we know of) include, Owen, Ben, Ella, baby,pig, cow, cat, dog,duck, jet,pool, moon and fun. He's interested in learning to write. He wants me to write letters and words while he holds onto the marker with me.

He talks very clearly and you can actually have a conversation with him now. He listens and follows directions really well and because he knows his colors, shapes and so many words, it's really easy to communicate with each other.

Owen has a very vivid imagination that I assume comes from books and TV. He still loves to read (that is once you catch him long enough to sit still and read with him.) He watches a little more TV than I am proud to admit, but sometime you gotta do what you gotta do. I do control what he watches. Some of his favorites are Word World, Super Why, Dora, Wonder Pets and Backyardagans. He does still ask for Mickey Mouse and Little Einsteins from time to time.

He is such a good big brother and other than not wanting to share his toys with Ben, you can tell he really loves Ben! I can't wait for them to be able to run around and play together!


He is really into doing floor puzzles! Maggie got him a set of Melissa and Doug Beginning Skills puzzles for Christmas that he LOVES!!! There are 4 12 piece puzzles and he can put all 4 together by himself (or "All by self," as he would say.) He also has a few farm scene puzzles that he likes to put together. Danny bought him a 48 piece Melissa and Doug dinosaur puzzle today, that once he does it with us a few times, he'll be mastering it by himself too!

He is ALL about playing outside. He can open all the locks now, which is VERY scary!!!! We put master locks on all the outside gates to try and keep in the backyard if he does get out of the house. I have to set the full siren alarm on the security system now when I shower to make sure I know if he opens a door.

He and our neighbor kids play almost every night. It's so fun to watch him get so excited and run around with them. The oldest girl is so patient and she has been trying to teach him how to play catch. He would rather chase her with the ball and give her hugs, but she's working on it.

I am sure there is a WHOLE lot more I could write, but Ben is demading some attention right now, so I might have to work on this more later.

Till then....

2 comments:

Cindy said...

Sounds like a lot of fun at your house right now. you could put a chain lock up high so when you take a shower, Owen can't actually reach the upper lock to get out the door (not even on a chair).

Mimi said...

Sounds like Owen will be a student that only teachers dream about having. Happy Mother's Day tomorrow, Crystal. :-)
Love, Merry