"Anything which parents have not learned from experience they can now learn from their children. " - Anonymous

Friday, July 1, 2011

Summer of Fun

Wednesday after I picked Owen up from school, we did our SOF activity for the day. The boys had picked "Play a new outdoor game." I had never done a scavenger hunt with them before and found this one online with pictures and thought we'd give it a whirl. I ended up with a migraine, so I helped Owen and Ben find several of the items on the list, but later that night Danny took them out to find the rest.
On Thursday we had a pretty busy day. Maggie and I went to the gym and dropped all SIX kids off at child watch for an hour, then we went home for lunch and came back out for frozen yogurt at YaYa's and then spent a good hour at O.P Taylor's playing and getting Ben's birthday presents.
Our SOF activity was to talk about the different type of clouds and watch for them during the rest of the summer. We had a storm the day before and talked about clouds then, so on Thursday we decided to count clouds and look for shapes, animals, states and continents in the clouds... that's way more fun anyways... right?! We'll let Julie teach the boys all about the clouds and their scientific names :)

Today (Friday), as soon as we got up, Owen was ready to write his Thank You Letters to community helpers. I first asked him how many letters he wanted to write, and he said six and then I asked which six people he wanted to write to, and he said his doctor, dentist, the police, fire fighters, garbage collectors, and our mail lady. I typed up a little note and then had him tell me what he wanted to write. I wrote it out and then helped him with the actual writing of the letters. He wrote way more for the 1st two than he did for the rest. We delivered one to our fire station today and walked over to the police station, but no one was there. I called our doctors office and Dr.Love won't be in until next Wednesday, and our trash doesn't run until Tuesday, so I'll have him take the rest sometime next week.

Here is a picture of Owen and one of the firemen. He gave Owen a picture of the fire engine, which made Owen eager to deliver the rest of his letters to see what else he could get.... probably should explain "its better to give than receive" now!

3 of the 6 letters....

2 comments:

Sumer said...

Where do you get all these ideas? I want to come live at your house for a while!! :)

Sumer said...

Where do you get all these ideas? I want to come live at your house for a while!! :)